“I really like my teachers and am really good at doing my work, especially math!”PLC Student
Whether a student lacks functional communication skills or needs learning supports, Pace can tailor a program to meet his/her needs. Our classrooms use a highly structured environment and clear expectations to set the stage for every child to succeed. We believe that every student can thrive when given the level of supports they need.
Pace Learning Center (PLC) serves students, families and communities by providing instruction and behavioral supports that address each child’s specific and unique needs. The highly qualified teachers and classroom staff guide students through a PA standards aligned curriculum and offer supplemental support services necessary for each child to be successful. An on-site Behavioral Health Liaison works directly with students and families and coordinates seamless care with other service providers. Interagency collaboration with Behavioral Health Rehabilitative Service (BHRS) personnel is encouraged and Therapeutic Support Staff (TSS) are welcomed into the school. PLC embraces the Sanctuary Model® of creating a trauma sensitive environment where children can heal from intensely stressful or traumatic experiences that interfere with learning.
- Individualized instruction based on each student’s needs
- Measurable strength-based goals and objectives for academic instruction
- Curriculum aligned with the Pennsylvania State Academic Standards
- Weekly progress monitoring and other formative assessment approaches
- Annual diagnostic assessments in reading and math
- Use of visual representations of rules, schedules and routines
- Intensive Verbal Behavior instruction
- Evidence-based instruction in all core subjects
- Participation in the Pennsylvania State System of Assessment (PSSA/PASA), as applicable
Social, Emotional and Behavioral Supports
- Clearly defined and consistently applied classroom rules and expectations
- The use of the CHAMPS positive and proactive classroom management program
- Individual and group social skills instruction
- Instruction and practice using emotions management and coping skills
- Behavior support plans built upon a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA)
- Sensory diets and use of sensory integration materials and activities
- Collaboration between school and other behavior and mental health service providers
Additional Related Services
Occupational Therapy, Speech & Language Therapy and Personal Care Assistants are available as needed.
For school district paid tuition, necessary related services are provided at PLC according to a child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP). To implement these services, a written agreement is required between the child’s School District and PLC.
For privately paid tuition, necessary related services may be provided in accordance with Equitable Participation Guidelines through a written agreement between the child’s Parent/Guardian and PLC.