Middle school students, grades 6 through 8, experience a myriad of changes physically, socially and emotionally as they enter adolescence. Programming at this level is designed to allow students with emotional/behavioral challenges and/or autism to learn more about themselves, gain greater independence, take on more responsibility and decision-making and begin thinking about the person they want to be.
SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL)
- Developing effective study habits
- Using strategies to filter and organize information
- Effectively collaborating with others
- Developing critical thinking skills
- Identifying personal views and opinions
- Developing verbal and written communication skills to express needs, ideas and opinions
- Recognizing safe and unsafe practices
- Gaining self-motivation
- Participation and self-advocacy during Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or Treatment Team Meetings
Academic instruction focuses on applying the fundamental skill learned in Elementary School to solve problems, analyze new situations, interpret information presented and think critically. Students begin to become independent thinkers and learners, using their skills to independently acquire new knowledge.
CREATIVE ARTS, ATHLETICS, STEAM AND CAREER EDUCATION
During middle school, students have the opportunity to enhance their academic learning with STEAM, creative arts, athletics and career education. Each student’s schedule includes the opportunity to:
- Choose creative arts electives with the greatest personal interest
- Participate in STEAM courses incorporating science, technology, engineering, art and math skills
- Participate in the Interscholastic Flag Football and Basketball Program
- Learn about Healthy Relationships and cyber safety and security
- Participate in Career Education Community-Based Learning
- Participate in the In-school Employment Training Program
- Learn about their career interests and assess related skills
Each student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) continues to identify the specific learning goals and specially designed instruction to be used.
Middle School Program Overview